Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Caw of the wild

http://www.emagazine.com/magazine/caw-of-the-wild?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EMagazineIssueFeed+%28E+Magazine+Print+Issue+Feed%29

Picture: The picture to the left shows the cover of Lyanda Lynn Haupt's book Crow Planet, which tells all about her love and connection with crows

Summary: Though this artical was short, it told all about author and bird lover Lyanda Lynn Haupt, and her special connection to a certain bird a lot of people don't seem to notice. Crows. Though Lyanda is incredibly familiar with all birds, crows happen to be her favorite. In her artical, it states how she is able to connect human life with that of a crow, and how she put those and personal connections into her book. It is very much like a guide to crows, and helps exploit every aspect of crows life, living in the urban life and surviving just like humans. She also states that though she knows this bird as well as she does, she still doesn't exactly love it, and doesn't want the world to be overcome by nothing but crows.

Quote: "Here is a bird much like us, at home, yet not entirely at home in the urban habitat, gleaning what's here while remaining wild, and showing us what's beautiful, what's ugly, and what's missing."
Reflection: I think it's great that she brings such awareness to this mostly unknown species of bird, though I don't understand how she mentions she knows them, but doesn't necessarily love them.
Questions:
1-What connections can you make to our lives and to crows?
2-How can we learn more about these species and their role in the enviorment?
3-What can we do to help protect this species?

4 comments:

  1. I don't think that i, myself, would pick this book up off the bookshelf. However, i think it's awesome that the author feels a special connection with something as easily overlooked as a crow.

    question 1. What connection can you make to our lives and crows?
    It seems as though crows are most often affiliated with a negative connotation, in response to the incessant "caw! caw!" noises they make. I can definitely relate this to the annoying noises such as people tapping pens, their feet, and repetitive sounds like that. Those are things that i hear every day and they can all capture your focus once you notice it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally, would not pick up this book for multiple reasons. First of all, I am not a huge fan of birds so... I wouldn't want to read about them. Also, I don't seem to understand how a bird can be like a human. I can imagine its life being similar... but still; not really interested. I understand her perpose of writing this, and I believe she should keep with this because it seems like many people are interested.

    Question 2: How can we learn more about these species and their role in the enviorment?
    We can research. Go learn about their eating habits, and their role in the environment. Also we can find out where they are in the food chain, if they could be a keystone animal, and where they're from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Emily! I enjoyed reading her summary, and found this ladies beliefs to be quite fascinating. I probably wouldn't read this book, but I think its cool that she can compare our lives to those like a bird.

    http://crowplanet.com/
    This link is ALL about the book and author if you wanted to know more

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that I would read this book because this would not interest me at all. Although it may be good to read because it would be educational.

    Question 2-How can we learn more about these species and their role in the enviorment?

    We can research them more and figure out what their main role in their ecosystem is .

    ReplyDelete